Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Awareness Month Begins

As soon as I met her, I knew her.

She is a mom of a little boy with Neuroblastoma, just like me.

I had only emailed her for a few months after having been matched up to be her mentor through the Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation's mentor program. We were matched up because we live only a few hours apart and both of our young sons had been diagnosed with Stage III Intermediate Risk NB.

I knew of her son William's story and a little bit about their family, but after spending half of a day with them at Strong National Museum of Play, I felt like I knew her heart...because so much of her heart was just like mine.

When two cancer families meet it is like connecting with an old friend. You bond over similar experiences, tear up when you can literally feel the agony that they have experienced because you have too, and you instantly feel drawn to their precious child who has suffered as your child has. It is terrible to have to meet a friend in that way, but the connection is deep and beautiful.

September is Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month. We are in full swing at our house as we prepare for our 2nd Annual Alex's Lemonade Stand. The focus of Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month is to raise awareness and funding to find a cure. There is no better way to raise awareness than to share the stories of children who have battled cancer. I can't make you feel what it felt like to go through that experience, and it's impossible to know how it feels to deal with survivorship issues on a day to day basis unless you are dealing with them yourself. But I can do my best to tell the story of a beautiful little boy named William and hopefully cause you to realize that he could be your son...his battle could be your battle. I hope and pray that his story will touch your heart and lead you to help us in this battle.

Please stop by tomorrow as I share William's story...




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments!