Tomorrow is July 21 and 6 months ago on January 21 our whole world changed. It was 6 months ago tomorrow that our son Brady was diagnosed with cancer. Many of you have been following our story since about that time, and to you it may seem like yesterday. To us it seems like years ago, almost like we have lived a lifetime since then. To think of all that happened just in that first 24 hours, that first week...it boggles my mind. And to think of how dark those days were makes me tremble as I remember the agony.
Here are my words from the first day after diagnosis:
I know many of you want information, so we are going to try and continue updating via this blog as best we can. Our world has come crashing down and we desperately need the prayers of our friends and family. I'm having a hard time putting thoughts together, so I will just list the events of yesterday and today so far;
1.Came in for an MRI--unexpectedly they found a mass on Brady's spine.
2. Within a few hours we were told that Brady would be having spinal surgery to relieve pressure caused by the tumor on the spinal cord.
3. Later we found out the tumor was much larger than earlier thought...what we know is that it is cancer, it is big, it is in his chest.
4. The surgery was from 7-9:30pm. They removed some of the tumor and that part was successful in that his spine was somewhat decompressed. A lot of tumor remains. What was removed will be tested to diagnose the specific kind of cancer.
5. Brady is intubated and being kept somewhat sedated until further notice.
6. A risk of surgery was loss of function in one or all of his limbs. So far, his movement in all limbs looks good..Praise God.
7. At 9am this morning they did a bone marrow extraction to test if the cancer is in his bone marrow. This will be followed up by a CAT scan to look for other areas of cancer in his body. 8. We expect to hear more about the chemotherapy process, learn what type of cancer/prognosis, and possibly another surgery to place a central line today.
We need our friends and family right now. Please please pray for Brady. Please pray for our family as we continue to try and decide what is best to do in regards to having a memorial for my grandma. Please pray for Matt and I to find the courage to face all of this.
But in six months God has taken my boy, the one who doctors told us had Cerebral Palsy and wouldn't ever run like his peers, the one who then doctors told us had the most deadly form of pediatric cancer, the one who had two life threatening surgeries that could have paralyzed him...
God took this boy and he made him whole again. He took Brady who could only crawl, and he gave him steady feet and legs and made him WALK!! We have no choice but to believe that Brady will someday celebrate a complete victory over cancer!!!
The words from Psalm 40 seem to have been written just for Brady:
1 I waited patiently for the Lord to help me,
and he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire.
He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along.
3 He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the Lord.
No matter how deep the pit we find ourselves in, God can pull us out! We pray that Brady's life we always be a testimony to what our God can do!