We have made the difficult decision to go ahead with the chemo option followed by surgery. After A LOT of discussion and praying, we feel peace about it. We feel like we are using both methods conservatively, yet to their best potential. By doing chemo we will hopefully be able to shrink the tumor, therefore improving the chance for successful surgery. A few people have asked us, why not surgery first, then chemo. Brady's tumor involves his spinal cord, so doing surgery first would be very invasive and potentially dangerous. The goal for using chemo first is to reduce the tumor size, making it more easily removed via surgery later. Another big factor in our choice was the thought that chemo works on the whole body with the goal of killing cancer wherever it may be hiding. Surgery is localized...what if something is missed.
Chemo will start tonight after dinner. This has been the hardest decision of our lives. There is no crystal ball here, no sure thing. We made the most informed decision that we could given the information that we were given. This is where our faith comes in. Despite the circumstances we face, despite our fear, despite everything...God is holding us all in the palm of His hand. We have heard from so many people since having the triplets "God will never give you more than you can handle." It is a nice thought, but I truly think that this situation is more than WE can handle. I hope that our family is daily living proof, that in our darkest hours, we can trust God alone to get us through. It is never more than HE can handle!