Sunday, November 1, 2009

To Everything There is a Season

You all know that bible passage, "To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under Heaven. Ecc 3:1" I find myself saying that verse to myself many a day lately! Actually I sing it in my head...any Oakfield swing choir members out there remember singing "To Everything There is a Season" at graduation each year?

When you are in the midst of raising your kids, it's so easy to wish the days away. I can't wait for them to be out of diapers...I can't wait until they can dress themselves...I can't wait until we can get out the door in less than 30 minutes! Some older, wiser friends of mine reminded me once that I shouldn't wish these days away. This is a constant challenge for me because let's face it, these days are HARD! Today we dealt with our Brady boy who started crying about not wanting to go to the church nursery before we even left the house! And the crying never stopped until we were back in the van on the way home. Allie joined in as well, so we picked up our four kids from the nursery after church, two of them screaming, two of them just fine. At that moment, I found myself thinking, "Oh God, I just can't wait for them to be out of this stage, it's so hard!"

As we drove home, I think God caused me to stop and remember, that this is just a season of my life. It is a purposeful time that He has given Matt and I to raise our children, to mold their young hearts and minds, and to enjoy them! That doesn't meam they are always enjoyable, not even close! But, God reminded me this weekend that there will soon come a day when they won't willingly ride in a wagon that their mommy lovingly turned into a firetruck. They won't willingly climb into our laps to read a story. And there will come a day when I will no longer be bothered by toys strewn around the house. With those thoughts, my heart breaks a little, and I decide to enjoy THIS season and all that comes with it.

Someone please remind me to read this post next week before church:)

4 comments:

  1. So true Megan, too often we parents wish time would move more quickly when our children are young. Now we wish that time would slow so that we can enjoy what time we have before they are grown and gone. I watch my grandchildren now and wish that I had more time with them while they are young, they grow so very fast. This is your season of growing with your kids, enjoy this time together for too quickly it passes. Prayers continue for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, Meg, I have to tell you....my "baby" is about to turn 26, and it STILL takes us at least 30 minutes to get that one out the door!! However, looking at your Halloween blog, she says she wants to have a big family and do all the cool stuff you do with yours, so retribution might be mine eventually!!!
    Love ya-
    Cindy L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Treasure the time now even though it's hard. I was missing those younger days when my children (still young enough to enjoy trick or treating) decided they wanted to be scary this year, think vampire :( . Boy do I miss the Minnie Mouse, Belle, and cowboy costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a weird way, it's encouraging to hear from a mom with two that love nursery and two that scream!
    My daughter (almost 3) has always loved nursery and always did great!
    My son (17 mos.) hates it and screams the entire time. Usually the workers end up coming to get me although I would leave him the entire time if they could tolerate his crying . . . I want him to learn and I keep wondering where I went wrong with him. But maybe it really is just an insecurity that he'll outgrow or just a personality difference. I don't know. Can't figure him out!
    I'm due with our 3rd in March, and I keep hoping this one will be a "good" baby. :-)

    ReplyDelete

We love to read your comments!